Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thank you, Brett Favre.

Ever since I can remember, I've always seen Brett Favre play. He never missed a game. Before I realized what Cleveland sports meant to me, Brett Favre was my idol. He was THE MAN. That gunslinger approach, always going out and playing like a kid in his backyard. Brett Favre just looked like he really loved the game of football. Money didn't matter to him, just playing the game he loved so much was enough. Today, Brett Favre announced his retirement from the NFL, going out the way all superstars should--on top. No, he didn't win the Super Bowl, and yes, his last throw was an interception, but he's going out having had one of the best seasons of his career, and turning around a Green Bay Packers team not many gave a chance going into the season.

There are so many memories that come to mind when I think about Brett. Him running around the field in Super Bowl 31 after he finally got the Lombardi Trophy, him breaking Marino's record for TD passes, that Monday night game at Denver last year where he threw an 81-yard TD on the opening play of overtime. But the one that sticks out the most is the Monday Night game in Oakland against the Raiders on December 22, 2003. Brett had lost his closest friend, his father Irv unexpectedly to a heart attack the day before. I remember there being talk that he might not play that night, but he did--and he was incredible. I remember his wide receivers catching ANYTHING that came anywhere remotely close to them. I remember seeing his wife DeAnna up in a suite with their kids watching with tears in their eyes. I remember Brett in his interview after the game. That is the one thing that I'll always remember about Brett Favre. What a family man he was, what a great teammate he was, and what a great all-around person he became.



I remember reading an article in SI not too long ago about what Brett Favre means to the city of Green Bay, Wisconsin. It was pretty amazing to see how much he's loved up there. I can't even imagine what all of those people are going through today.

Favre played for 17 seasons, and never missed a start. He played every game like it was his last, and with his heart on his sleeve. Brett Favre changed the NFL in his own way. He brought on so many new fans with the way he played. There are millions of kids who play little-league football, backyard football, JV football, high-school football, etc. because of Brett Favre. Not because of anyone else.

Brett Favre is an icon, and I can't imagine what it's gonna be like next year not seeing that #4 in the Green Bay huddle. The Hall of Fame is waiting for you, Brett.

Thanks for all the great memories.

No comments: