Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year's C-Town Resolutions.

Roughly 92% of Americans make at least one New Year's Resolution every year [citation needed]. Considering I have already given up on mine (going one full year without ever stepping foot into or on the premises of McDonalds), I figured what could possibly be better than making resolutions for myself in regards to the Cleveland teams. Let's get to it.

1. I will not criticize LeBron James. Even if it's Game 7 in the Playoffs, and he decides he wants to get into one of those phases where he settles for long-range jumpers that he can't make, which, in turn, costs us the series and knocks us out of the playoffs, I will not say one bad thing about that man. I did it last year after his blown lay-up against Boston in game 7, and I did it earlier this season against Detroit when he got into one of those phases. I will not do it once in 2009. He's human. He'll lose a game doing something stupid. That being said, he's still the best player Cleveland has ever seen, and I refuse to take him for granted. After all, this could be one of his last seasons as a Cleveland Cavalier. (Hopefully not, but after all, it's still Cleveland.)

2. I will never use the phrase "Mangenius" when referring to new Browns head coach Eric Mangini. Even if he makes the most insane call to beat a team such as, let's say the Steelers, I still will not use this phrase. Main reason being--Tony Soprano used it once. And you don't use stuff that Tony uses. Plus, the New York media ran with it, and look where that ended up.

3. I will not allow myself to have any bigger of a man-crush than I already have on Grady Sizemore. Self-explanatory.

4. I will attempt to actually care about the Cleveland State Vikings basketball team. I've tried for three years now, and every year I stop caring as soon as Kent State gets into the NCAA Tournament. I've always had a place in my heart for Kent State--don't ask me why, because, simply, I don't know.

5. I will try, for the first time in my life, to not say "This is our year!" when referring to the Browns. I have said it every year since I can remember, and clearly that over-confident plan hasn't worked out so well. After all, the odds of 2009 being "our year" are about the same as LenDale White losing weight.

6. I will not make fun of Mark Teahen at an Indians game. This might be the most difficult one on the list, but I'm going to try my hardest. I don't know what it is about that guy, but he's just so fun/easy to pick on.

7. I will not reference Jose Mesa a single time throughout 2009, aside from this mention in my resolutions list. Because seriously, it's time to move on and finally let that go.

8. I will not allow myself to actually think that Brady Quinn might finally be the answer at QB for the Browns. I've allowed myself to think that numerous times over the past decade, and every time, I've been dead wrong. This was espically true with Charlie Frye. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to those two guys who sat in the front row of the East endzone at Cleveland Browns stadium in the McDonalds "Charlie's Frye's" costumes?

No comments: