Monday, March 9, 2009

The direction of the Browns...

Today is strictly an opinion-based blog post. I honestly have no clue the actual direction of the Cleveland Browns. In fact, I probably don't actually want to know the true direction of this team. But, just for a couple minutes, let's pretend like I actually believe that Eric Mangini knows what he's doing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for approximately the next 2 and a half minutes.

Now, as you all know, I'll never condone the Browns trading away my favorite player on the team, Kellen Winslow...so I won't even go there. But, let's assume it was done for a legit reason. Only reason I can come up with is that Winslow wasn't a run blocker. Hell, he wasn't a blocker period. Now, Robert Royal, the recent tight end that the Browns signed is a blocker. Apparently. I don't actually know, since I've never seen the guy play in my life. I do know that he can't catch. But we'll leave that alone and just base it off the fact that Royal can block. OK. So the apparent direction of the Browns is that they want to get back to the old, 80's, run-it-down-their-throats Cleveland Browns football with Earnest Byner and Kevin Mack bulldozing all over people.

Now, that I can live with. That's all good in theory. One problem...Jamal Lewis can't run the ball successfully for a full season. Sorry, he just can't. He's too old and washed up to be very productive over a full season. That only leaves us with Jerome Harrison, who, by the way, is an animal. Now, you wouldn't know that, because Romeo never actually used him. But when Harrison did touch the ball, oh, you know, two times a game, he actually made plays. I have a feeling with Mangini coaching that we'll see a lot more of Harrison, as he'll most likely be used just like Leon Washington was for the Jets. OK...so that's half of the running back problem. The other half, you know, the Jamal Lewis half? He won't go anywhere. I wish he'd leave, but he won't. I'd love to see the Browns draft a nice running back, like LeSean McCoy or Beanie Wells, but I doubt they will. They have much more pressing needs.

So the apparent direction of the Browns is to get back to just pounding the football for one or two yards a play, then on 3rd-and-7 throw a screen pass for 4 yards, and punt.

Man, I can't wait for football season in the fall. We'll be lucky to go 4-12 again.

No comments: